Today: 5 April 2025
19 January 2023
3 mins read

4 Pak soldiers killed in attack from ‘Iranian soil’

The development comes as Pakistan tackles rising terror attacks especially by the outlawed Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) and from across the Afghan border…reports Asian Lite News

Islamabad, Jan 19 (IANS) In the latest strike on Pakistan armed forces, as many as four security personnel were killed when terrorists attacked from “Iranian soil”, the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) said.

The incident took place when terrorists from across the Pakistan-Iran border targeted a convoy of security personnel patrolling along the divide in the Chukab area of Balochistan’s Panjgur district, Geo News reported.

In response, the military’s media wing said that the Iranian side has been asked to hunt down the terrorists.

The development comes as Pakistan tackles rising terror attacks � especially by the outlawed Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) and from across the Afghan border.

According to reports, the TTP regrouped in Afghanistan after the Taliban’s takeover, with Pakistan repeatedly asking the interim government in the neighbouring country to ensure that its soil isn’t used for terrorism.

But the Taliban-led government has not been able to live up to the expectations.

The activities of militants have been mainly focused in Balochistan and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, with the former accounting for 31 per cent of the attacks during the last year and the latter 67 per cent, according to statistics provided by Interior Minister Rana Sanaullah.

Hours before the attack on security forces, four terrorists were gunned down in a shootout that took place during an intelligence-based operation (IBO) in Balochistan, Geo News quoted the military’s media wing as saying.

The ISPR, in its statement, said the operation was launched to clear a hideout of terrorists, linked with firing incidents on security forces and civilians besides planting “improvised explosive devices on M-8, in general area Talsar, Hoshab”.

Just a day earlier, Chief of Army Staff General Syed Asim Munir vowed that the military would thwart attempts by “foreign-sponsored and supported” hostile elements to destabilise Balochistan, Geo News reported.

“We are aware of the nefarious designs of external enemies of Pakistan to disturb the hard-earned peaceful environment in Balochistan,” General Munir added.

The army’s deployment and operations, he said, “are being focused in the south-western province to provide an enabling environment for benevolent people-centric socioeconomic development”.

Last month, five soldiers were killed and more than a dozen others injured as seven separate blasts ripped through Balochistan — in Quetta, Turtbat, Hub, and Kohlu districts, Geo News reported.

Pakistan demands probe

Pakistan Foreign Office (FO) Spokesperson Mumtaz Zahra Baloch, at her weekly news briefing in Islamabad, said the terrorists used Iranian soil to target a convoy of security forces patrolling along the Pakistan-Iran border. She said Pakistan commits that its territory will not be used for undertaking cross-border attacks in Iran, and we expect the same from Iran, Geo News reported.

Baloch added that communication channels are active, and Pakistan has shared its concerns regarding the attack with the Iranian authorities.

The Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), on Wednesday, reported that four security personnel were killed in a terrorist attack carried out from “Iranian soil”.

The incident took place when terrorists from across the Pakistan-Iran border targeted a convoy of security personnel patrolling along the divide in the Chukab area of Balochistan’s Panjgur district, Geo News reported.

ALSO READ: Iran to get Russian Su-35 fighters soon

Previous Story

Church of England refuses to back same-sex marriages

Next Story

‘Enforces disappearances in Pakistan failed to move the UN’

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Pakistan wants strong ties with US: FM Qureshi

This comes as the US has expressed its desire to

Biden renews commitment to return to Iran N-deal

The meeting of the four leaders was held at the