Today: 30 August 2025
19 September 2021
2 mins read

US army admits Aug drone strike in Kabul killed 10 civilians

The General admitted the deadly strike was “a tragic mistake”…reports Asian Lite News

The military has admitted that an American drone strike in Kabul last last month killed as many as 10 civilians, including seven children.

“Having thoroughly reviewed the findings of the investigation and the supporting analysis by inter-agency partners, I am now convinced that as many as 10 civilians, including up to seven children, were tragically killed in that strike,” Xinhua news agency quoted Kenneth McKenzie, commander of the US Central Command as saying during a Pentagon press briefing on Friday.

“We now assess that it is unlikely that the vehicle and those who died were associated with IS-K, or were a direct threat to US forces,” he added.

The General admitted the deadly strike was “a tragic mistake”.

“As the combatant commander, I am fully responsible for this strike and this tragic outcome.”

On August 29, the Central Command had announced that it launched a drone strike on a vehicle in Kabul, which it claimed had eliminated an “imminent” threat, posed by the IS-K, an Afghanistan-based offshoot of the Islamic State terror group, to the Hamid Karzai International Airport, where evacuations of American service members and personnel were underway.

Mark Milley, chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, had called it a “righteous strike” with procedures correctly followed.

Media reports later emerged that the US military might have hit a wrong target in the strike with civilian casualties.

Separate investigations by The New York Times and The Washington Post identified the vehicle driver as Zemarai Ahmadi, a 43-year-old electrical engineer working for Nutrition and Education International, a US aid group based in Pasadena, California.

“We now know that there was no connection between Mr. Ahmadi and IS-Khorasan,” Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin said in a statement on Friday.

“His activities on that day were completely harmless and not at all related to the imminent threat we believed we faced, and that Ahmadi was just as innocent a victim as were the others tragically killed.

“We apologise, and we will endeavour to learn from this horrible mistake,” he added.

The Pentagon chief also noted he had asked a further review of the investigation just completed by Central Command to determine whether “accountability measures” need to be taken and strike authorities and procedures to be changed in the future.

A day after the drone strike announcement, the Central Command said that it had completed the pullout of US troops from Afghanistan, ending 20 years of American military presence in the country, after botched evacuations that drew fierce criticism from both home and abroad.

The US announced its “War on Terror” and invaded Afghanistan in 2001, soon after Al Qaeda terrorists hijacked passenger planes and carried out suicide attacks, killing almost 3,000 people.

Over the years, Washington has expanded warfare into several other countries, relying heavily on drone strikes for targeted killings.

US drone attacks and airstrikes have killed at least 22,000 civilians over the past two decades, according to watchdog Airwars.

ALSO READ: France recalls envoy to US in standoff

Previous Story

SpaceX Inspiration4 returns with all-civilian crew after 3 days in space

Next Story

Imran Khan rues decision of Pak siding with US

Latest from -Top News

UAE champions global water cooperation at Stockholm

The United Arab Emirates reaffirmed its leadership role in advancing global water security through active participation in the 35th World Water Week in Stockholm…reports Asian Lite News The UAE emphasised that water

Egypt, UAE forge strong Arab unity

The Prime Minister emphasised that continued consultation and coordination between Cairo and Abu Dhabi are central to dealing with issues of common concern…reports Asian Lite News Egyptian Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouli has

Dubai Airshow to unveil flying future

Dubai Airshow 2025 will redefine the future of flight, showcasing eVTOLs, vertiports, and global innovations as the UAE cements itself as a leader in advanced air mobility….reports Asian Lite News Dubai is

Culture, careers and courage define Emirati women

The forum drew nearly 700 participants, including senior officials, government executives, academics and business leaders….reports Asian Lite News The Emirati Women’s Forum, held under the patronage of Her Highness Sheikha Manal bint

Power women take centre stage in Dubai

The forum marked the tenth anniversary of Emirati Women’s Day…reports Asian Lite News The Emirati Women’s Forum brought together leading voices from government, diplomacy, business, innovation, and youth to celebrate the achievements
Go toTop

Don't Miss

‘Will welcome any steps that Iran takes to de-escalate nuclear threats’

Blinken emphasized that the US maintains a strategy of deterrence,

US includes UAE in its Global Entry Programme

The programme will expedite the arrival process for travelers into