Today: 3 April 2025
2 March 2022
1 min read

BWF suspends Russia and Belarus from int’l tournaments


The BWF’s move comes a day after it cancelled tournaments in Russia and Belarus…reports Asian Lite News

The world governing bodies for badminton (BWF) has suspended Russia and Belarus from international tournaments on Tuesday, following the country’s invasion of Ukraine. The BWF had already cancelled all sanctioned tournaments in Russia and Belarus.

The governing body said it fully supported the International Olympic Committee (IOC) urging sports federations to move or cancel sports events planned in Russia or Belarus.

The world governing body said they have agreed to strengthen its measures against the governments of Russia and Belarus by suspending athletes and officials representing these countries from participating at any BWF-sanctioned international tournaments until further notice, BWF said in a statement.

The BWF’s move comes a day after it cancelled tournaments in Russia and Belarus.

Earlier, the IOC has asked International Sports Federations and sports event organisers not to invite or allow the participation of Russian and Belarusian athletes and officials in international competitions for the country’s invasion of Ukraine.

The IOC has made this recommendation following a meeting of the Executive Board (EB) on Monday, just a few days before the start of the Winter Paralympic Games starting on March 4 in Beijing.

ALSO READ-Pakistan backs up Putin amid global sanctions

Previous Story

Biden closes US airspace to Russia

Next Story

‘Radhe Shyam’ to hit theatres on March 11

Latest from World News

Big Job Cuts Loom as AI Reshapes Work

The rise of AI and global economic uncertainties are key reasons behind these layoffs…reports Asian Lite News Several major global companies, including Amazon, Morgan Stanley, and Goldman Sachs, plan significant job cuts

LUXON WITH STARS 

Prime Minister of New Zealand Christopher Luxon meets Bollywood actors including Vidya Balan, Aamir Khan and others, in Mumbai on Wednesday. (ANI Photo) 

Leics Snap Up Pak’s Masood 

The 35-year-old will team up with new skipper Peter Handscomb and Dutch star Logan van Beek as Leicestershire’s overseas picks for the upcoming season.  Leicestershire have signed Pakistan Test captain Shan Masood
Go toTop

Don't Miss

China, Russia Ready to Tackle Security Threats Together

Zhang said China and Russia have maintained a high-level bilateral

Russia to Retaliate Over $282 Billion Asset Theft

The West froze nearly $300 billion in assets belonging to