Today: 4 April 2025
25 February 2022
2 mins read

UN chief repeats his plea to Putin to halt Russia’s war on Ukraine

“I repeat my plea from last night: Stop the military operation. Bring the troops back to Russia,” Guterres said the following day….reports Asian Lite News

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Thursday repeated his plea to Russian President Vladimir Putin, made the previous night, to halt the assault on Ukraine and withdraw his troops.

He said that the war is wrong and unacceptable under the UN’s charter but it is still possible to change course and reverse the decision.

Putin announced the start of full-scale militarily operations in Ukraine at the same time Guterres was making his plea for restraint during an emergency meeting of the Security Council at the UN headquarters in New York late on Wednesday night.

“I repeat my plea from last night: Stop the military operation. Bring the troops back to Russia,” Guterres said the following day.

“We are seeing Russian military operations inside the sovereign territory of Ukraine on a scale that Europe has not seen in decades,” he told reporters as he spoke of scenes of “fear, anguish and terror in every corner of Ukraine,” and warned of a rising death toll.

“Day after day, I have been clear that such unilateral measures conflict directly with the United Nations Charter,” Guterres said.

Quoting directly from that charter, he added: “All members shall refrain in their international relations from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of any state, or in any other manner inconsistent with the purposes of the United Nations.”

The Russian military offensive repudiates the principles to which every member of the UN has committed, he said.

“It is wrong. It is against the charter. It is unacceptable. But it is not irreversible. (In) line with the charter, it’s not too late to save this generation from the scourge of war.”

Decisions made in the coming days will shape the world and directly affect the lives of millions upon millions of people, Guterres added.

The organization is allocating $20 million from its Central Emergency Response Fund to meet the urgent humanitarian needs of Ukrainians, he said.

“We and our humanitarian partners are committed to staying and delivering, to support people in Ukraine in their time of need,” said the UN chief.

“United Nations staff are working on both sides of the contact line, always guided by the humanitarian principles of neutrality, impartiality, humanity and independence.

“We are providing lifesaving humanitarian relief to people in need, regardless of who or where they are. The protection of civilians must be priority number one. International humanitarian and human rights law must be upheld.”

ALSO READ: Biden says US consulting India on Ukraine

Previous Story

Biden announces sanctions against Russia

Next Story

Ukraine President takes a dig at world leaders

Latest from -Top News

ATM 2025 set for record turnout

Registrations have surged by an impressive 104% compared to the same period last year, underscoring ATM’s growing influence in the international travel trade landscape. With just three weeks to go until the

UAE team aids Myanmar relief efforts

The search and rescue operation will take place across six locations in Myanmar, with teams working in rotating morning and evening shifts to expedite response efforts and reach as many affected areas

China Says US Tariff Hikes Violate WTO Rules

China is among the hardest-hit, facing a 34 per cent levy—part of what Washington describes as reciprocal measures aimed at rebalancing trade deficits and curbing unfair trade practices China has strongly condemned

India Acts as ‘First Responder’ in Myanmar: Jaishankar

Jaishankar took the opportunity to underscore India’s swift humanitarian response, highlighting Operation Brahma, which was launched to assist those affected by the earthquake. External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar on Thursday expressed India’s
Go toTop

Don't Miss

UAE announces $5 million humanitarian assistance for Ukraine

The United Arab Emirates has announced US$5 million in humanitarian

Kremlin says creation of ‘buffer zone’ in Ukraine needs time

Later on Wednesday, Belgorod regional governor Vyacheslav Gladkov said one