Today: 5 April 2025
7 February 2022
2 mins read

No initiative received from US in Vienna talks: Iran

Iran has so far received no proposed text from the US in the Vienna talks on the restoration of a 2015 nuclear deal, the Iranian Foreign Minister has said…reports Asian Lite news


Hossein Amir Abdollahian on Sunday said in an interview with IRIB state TV that Iran has seen “no serious or remarkable initiative” from the US.

The negotiations, he added, will achieve progress based on expert views and agreements, the outcome of which will be a “good agreement” that would serve the interests of the country and its people, Xinhua news agency reported.

The Iranian Minister said Tehran welcomes any executive order or measure by the Biden administration that would lead to the lifting of the sanctions reimposed after the US unilateral withdrawal from the nuclear deal, formally known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).

“What is important to us is the American side’s action. We look at what happens on the ground,” Amir Abdollahian added.

ALSO READ:Raisi Iran’s will for agreement in Vienna proven

Asked about the possibility of a temporary two-year agreement, he said, “We are looking for a good agreement, not a limited one that lasts for a specific period of time.”

The US government announced on Friday that it was waiving sanctions on Iran’s civilian nuclear program, which allows international nuclear cooperation projects.

Cautious optimism

An Iranian top security official has underlined cautious optimism about the progress in the Vienna talks on reviving the 2015 nuclear deal, calling for a “balance” in the parties’ commitments.

“Despite the limited progress in the Vienna talks, we are still far from achieving the necessary balance in the commitments of the parties,” Ali Shamkhani, Secretary of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council, tweeted on Sunday.

“Political decisions in Washington are requirements for balance of commitments to reach a good agreement,” he said.

Iran and world powers signed a nuclear deal, formally known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), in July 2015. However, former US President Donald Trump pulled Washington out of the agreement in May 2018 and reimposed unilateral sanctions on Iran.

Since April 2021, eight rounds of talks have been held in the Austrian capital between Iran and the remaining JCPOA parties to revive the pact, Xinhua news agency reported.

Previous Story

Australia to open borders after almost 2 years 

Next Story

Global Covid caseload tops 394.7 mn

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop

Don't Miss

US global political influence shrinking: IRGC

Commenting on the US President’s recent Middle East tour, the

Lebanon seeks common market to boost Arab food security

The Lebanese President’s remarks came during his meeting with Agriculture