Today: 4 April 2025
20 December 2020
1 min read

Curfew imposed in Thai province

Schools, stadiums and boxing arenas have been ordered temporarily closed while convenience stores will be closed during the curfew period, according to the provincial Governor…reports Asian Lite News

Thai authorities have imposed a curfew throughout the coronavirus pandemic-hit Samut Sakhon province near Bangkok in the wake of a rapid resurgence of new confirmed cases in the region.

On Saturday, provincial Governor Verasak Vichitsangsri announced the curfew between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m., which came into immediate effect, will remain until January 3, reports Xinhua news agency.

Schools, stadiums and boxing arenas have been ordered temporarily closed while convenience stores will be closed during the curfew period, according to the provincial Governor.

Restaurants are allowed to offer only take-out and delivery food, with no indoor dining allowed, Verasak said.

A travel ban has been imposed to keep residents of Samut Sakhon from leaving the province during the lockdown while no migrant workers or other foreigners are allowed to enter, which locates a large number of Myanmar migrant workers mostly employed in the fishing industry.

The lockdown measures and curfew followed Saturday’s official confirmation of infection so far with a total of 548 people, most of them being Myanmar migrants.

Thailand has so far reported a total of 4,331 confirmed coronavirus cases and 60 deaths.

Also read:Wall Street readies to sabotage Biden’s China fightback

Previous Story

PICS: Farmer Protest Continues

Next Story

Nepal PM urges dissolution of House

Latest from Asia News

India Acts as ‘First Responder’ in Myanmar: Jaishankar

Jaishankar took the opportunity to underscore India’s swift humanitarian response, highlighting Operation Brahma, which was launched to assist those affected by the earthquake. External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar on Thursday expressed India’s

Palestine Seeks Emergency Arab Meet 

Palestine’s Permanent Representative has accused Israel of committing “crimes of aggression, genocide, and ethnic cleansing” against Palestinians. He also pointed to Israel’s blockade on electricity and humanitarian aid, which has exacerbated the

UN Calls for Gaza Ceasefire, End to Blockade

Fletcher said suspending aid and commercial materials is reversing the progress achieved during the ceasefire…reports Asian Lite News The UN humanitarian chief has called for a renewed Gaza ceasefire and urged Israel
Go toTop